The information in this article applies to:
How can I place furniture like couches or beds, or fixtures like sinks and toilets in to my plan?
My Library Browser appears empty, or is missing content.
How can I download this information?
Also, are there any additional content libraries I can download?
Home Designer products will prompt you to install the Core Content library files the first time the program is launched. If this download was interrupted, skipped, or otherwise failed to install successfully, you can initiate the installation of the Core Content by following the steps below.
To install Core Content
- With a plan open select Library> Install Core Content from the menu.
- Once all the Core Libraries have been successfully installed, an information message will display advising that "Your Library Catalogs are up to date."
- Once the core catalogs are successfully installed, you can select View> Library Browser to open the Library and either browser the tree view for particular objects, or use the Search feature to try to find a particular type of item.
If you have successfully installed all of the Core Libraries and believe you are missing other content, it may be that the item(s) you are looking for are in a bonus or manufacturer catalog.
For example, Board and Batten siding materials are offered by the CertainTeed manufacturer.
The Home Designer Core Catalogs and Bonus Catalogs are updated periodically to include new and improved content. You can update your installed catalogs to include the latest content by selecting Library> Update Library Catalogs at any time.
The program will gather information about the content in each of these two categories, and then download and replace any content that is not up to date, and you may see a progress indicator at the bottom of the Library Browser while it's doing so.
To download bonus and/or manufacturer content
- From within the program, go to Library> Get Additional Content Online .
Alternatively you can visit the 3D Library on the Home Designer website.
It's important to download library content for the appropriate version, as newer libraries will not work with older products. For more information, see the Relates Articles section at the end of this page.
Some library catalogs will only be available for a fee, or to current version Chief Architect Premier users with active Support and Software Assurance (SSA).
- When you have located a library catalog that you wish to install, click on the Download symbol. You may also:
- Click on the catalog thumbnail image to go to the full overview of the catalog.
- Put your mouse cursor over the Info symbol for a summary of details.
- Click Like option if you think the catalog is: as described, of good quality, or worth recommending to others.
- Depending on your web browser, you will be prompted to either Open or Save the .calibz file.
- Choose Open or Run if that option is available.
If it is not, choose to Save the file to an easy to find location, such as your Desktop.
- If you chose to Open the file, it should automatically start importing the catalog, if the program is already open.
- If the software was not open, you will notice that Home Designer will launch and then begin importing the file.
- If you instead chose to Save the file, then from within your Home Designer software program, you will need to select Library> Import Library and browse to the file's location on your Desktop, select it, and click Open.
- Once the file has been imported successfully, you should see a dialog box with the number of items that were imported.
- You can now locate the imported library items in the Library Browser by either navigating to its location, or by searching.
Note: Bonus and Manufacturer catalog libraries will automatically be sorted into their respective Bonus Catalogs and Manufacturer Catalogs folders in the Library Browser.
- If you are unable to locate a suitable object, many of the Home Designer programs also allow you to import 3D symbols from third party sources. To learn more, see the Related Articles section below.