The information in this article applies to:
How can I place fixtures, furnishings, and other objects in my plans?
Fixtures, furnishings, and much more can all be downloaded into your Home Designer program's Library Browser.
Home Designer will prompt you to install the Core Content library files the first time the program is launched. If you do not download the Core Content at that time, though, you can do so later on when it is more convenient.
To install Core Content
- Select Library> Install Core Content from the menu. The Core Catalogs contain a lot of data, which may take some time to download. A progress indicator will display at the bottom of the Library Browser side window, if it is open.
- When the Core Catalogs have been completely installed, an information message will display advising that "Your Library Catalogs are up to date."
- The Library Browser side window is docked on the right side of the program window. You can open and close it by selecting View> Library Browser , and can both browse and search its contents.
- If the Core Catalogs install with errors, or you believe that you may be missing content, select Library> Update Library Catalogs.
The Home Designer Core Catalogs and Bonus Catalogs are updated periodically to include new and improved content. Library> Update Library Catalogs not only identifies and downloads missing content - it also replaces any outdated items with the latest version. A progress indicator will display at the bottom of the Library Browser while catalogs are updated.
You can also download and import a selection of Bonus and Manufacturer Catalogs from our 3D Library mentioned below.
To download Bonus or Manufacturer catalogs
- Select Library> Get Additional Content Online from within the software.
You can also visit the Home Designer website and navigate to the 3D Library
. Be sure to select the correct Product Family, Product, and Version, as each catalog is designed to work with specific programs only. If you download and import a catalog that was not intended for your program, it may install successfully, but its content will not be available to use.
- Click on a category to expand its contents.
- Mouse over the Info icon at the top of a catalog thumbnail for a summary of its details.
- Click the Like button if you think the catalog is: as described, of good quality, or worth recommending to others.
- Click on the catalog thumbnail image to go to the full overview page of the catalog.
- If you would like to download a catalog, click the Download icon.
- If you're prompted to login, proceed with entering the email address and password for your Chief Architect online account. If you don't have an account, one will need to be created to download additional content. See the Related Articles section below for more information on creating an account.
- Once logged in, select the catalog download link that corresponds to the Home Designer version you own.
Many catalogs can be downloaded free of charge, some are available for optional purchase, and some are only available to Chief Architect Premier users with active Support and Software Assurance (SSA).
- Depending on your web browser, you will be prompted to either Open or Save the .calibz file.
- Choose the Save option if it's available and save the file in an easy to find location like your Downloads folder or Desktop.
- If it's not, choose Open or Run, but make sure that Home Designer is running and a plan file is open.
- If you chose to Save the file, launch or return to your Home Designer software program, open a plan file, and select Library> Import Library. Browse to the file's location on your computer, select it, and click Open.
- When the file has been imported successfully, the program will notify you of the total number of items that were imported.
- The imported catalog can now be found in the Library Browser by either navigating to its location, or by searching.
Most Home Designer programs are also able to import 3D symbols from third party sources. To learn more, see the Related Articles section below.