September 2, 2021
The information in this article applies to:
How do I add a small room under a staircase?
When walls are drawn under a staircase, the walls will be cut off by the stairs making it easy to create a room underneath a staircase.
To create a room under a staircase
- Draw your staircase to your specifications using the Stair tools.
For more information on creating various staircases, please see the Related Articles
- Select Build> Wall> Straight Interior Wall from the menu.
- Draw an interior wall beneath the stair making sure that the surface of the wall aligns with the outer edge of the staircase, then draw connecting wall segments to enclose the room.
In this example, the newly drawn walls are highlighted in turquoise in the image below.
Note: Be sure not to draw the end of your room past the second tread at the bottom of the staircase.
- Using the Select Objects tool, select the staircase and click the Open Object edit button.
- On the Style panel of the Staircase Specification dialog that opens, uncheck the box next to Open Risers, check the box next to Open Underneath, then click OK.
You can also set the Pattern Type to "No Pattern" on the Fill Style panel if you want to be able to see under the staircase in floor plan view.
- Select Build> Door> Hinged Door from the menu, and click on one of the interior walls you just drew to place a door to your room.