The information in this article applies to:
I was working in the program when this error message displayed:
"A serious error occurred. Do not save the file in its current state. If you want to try saving your work, use Save As to create a new file. Please restart the program and contact Technical Support."
What does this mean?
As this error message suggests, the program was not able to determine the cause of the error.
There are several things that you can do if you encounter an error message in the program and are unsure of what it means.
Note the exact wording of the error
First, make a note of the exact wording of the error. If the error message box includes a Details button, click it and make a note of the error number in addition to the wording.
You can also create a screen capture of the message box instead of writing down its contents. If a Details button is available, click it so the additional information can be seen.
To create a screen capture on a Windows computer
- Click on the message box title bar to make sure it is the active window.
- Press and hold down the Alt key on your keyboard, then press the Print Screen key.
- Open an image editing application such as Paint and select Edit> Paste from the menu.
- Select File> Save and save the file to an easy to find location on your computer.
To create a screen capture on a Mac computer
- Click on the message box title bar to make sure it is the active window
- On your keyboard, press the Command key, the Shift key, and the number 3 all at the same time.
- This will save a screenshot image on your Desktop.
Note what you were doing when the error occurred
As soon as possible after the error occurs, write down exactly what you were doing in the program.
Important information to note includes:
- What plan or layout file you were working on;
- What kind of view was active (floor plan view, layout view, camera view, CAD Detail window);
- How many files and/or view windows were open;
- What drawing or editing tool was active;
- What object were you editing;
- Any unusual program behavior or other error messages you may have noticed.
Contact Technical Support
Once you have recorded the contents of the error message and made a note of the conditions under which it occurred, please create a support case using the Online Support Center to provide our team all of the information you have gathered. In addition to the description, and screenshot(s), please also attach the following files to your support case.
A backup of the entire plan (and layout, if applicable).
The software's Message Log.
Your System Information.
If you are unfamiliar with how to access these other files, please follow the links in the Related Articles section below before contacting Support.