The information in this article applies to:
The information in this article applies to:
I want to design an outdoor kitchen using my Home Designer program. How can I do that?
Customizing an exterior room, such as an outdoor kitchen, is easy to accomplish using the tools and objects available in the Library Browser. Some thoughts to consider when designing an outdoor kitchen are proximity to the main house, counter space, and appliances. For the purposes of our example above, we created our outdoor kitchen next to the main house on an existing concrete slab patio.
To create a concrete slab for your exterior kitchen room
- First, launch your Home Designer software program and either start a New Plan , or choose to Open the existing plan in which you would like to create your outdoor kitchen.
- Select Build> Wall> Room Divider and click and drag out each wall in a clockwise fashion until you have a completely enclosed space.
- In Home Designer 2014 and prior versions, navigate to Build> Wall> Invisible Wall.
For this example, the rear wall of our room was already an existing exterior wall from the house.
A straight Room Divider segment can be changed to a curved segment by selecting it and clicking on the Change Line/Arc edit button.
- After your enclosed room has been created, use the Select Objects tool to highlight what will become the outdoor kitchen, and click on the Open Object edit button to display the Room Specification dialog box.
- In the Room Specification dialog
On the General panel, use the Room Type drop-down menu to select a room type of Slab.
Now go to the Materials panel and set the appropriate Floor Structure material by selecting this option and clicking on the Select Material button to display the Select Library Object dialog box.
For the purposes of this example, we used a Concrete material, but you could also select brick, stone, wood, or any other type of flooring material that you want to use for your outdoor kitchen.
Click OK in the Room Specification dialog box to apply these changes to your slab room.
Next, let's place some outdoor objects, such as a grill.
To place outdoor appliances
- Select View> Library Browser , and either Search for a particular item, or browse to it directly.
- In Home Designer 2014 and prior versions, navigate to Library> Library Browser.
- For the purposes of our example, we will use the BBQ (built-in, large) symbol.
- After you have found an appropriate item to place in your plan, select it, and click in the plan to place it.
- If needed, select the newly placed item and resize or move it to the location you want it to be in your plan.
In addition to placing objects from your Library Browser, cabinetry can also be modified to model a variety of different objects, such as the wood burning oven below.
To create a small wood-burning oven as in the above image
- Select Build> Cabinet> Full Height and click in your view to place this Full Height Cabinet.
- Once you have placed the cabinet, use the Select Objects tool to click on the cabinet so that it is selected, and choose the Open Object edit tool to display the Full Height Cabinet Specification dialog box.
- In the Full Height Cabinet Specification dialog
- On the General panel , make any necessary adjustments to the Height, Width and Cabinet type.
For the purposes of this example, we used a Corner cabinet, set the Height to 85" and both the Left and Right Side Widths to 42".
- Next, we are going to go to the Front panel to remove the existing doors and create two openings, one for wood storage and one for our wood-burning oven.
Click on the upper door of the cabinet in the preview to select it and click on the Delete button to remove it. Select the remaining door and toe kick and Delete them as well.
If you see shelves after deleting the cabinet doors, select them in the preview image and hit the Delete button.
We are now left with a single Blank Area on the cabinet when we select the preview, which we can adjust the Item Height of to be 18"
If you are unable to select the doors, click Select Cabinet Face Item and then try again
- Click Add New and use the Item Type drop down to specify an Opening set at a Item Height of 12", and then click OK.
- Next, click Add New and create a Blank Area below the wood burning oven with an Item Height of 20", then create a second Opening with an Item Height of 24". Be sure to uncheck the Include Shelves checkbox each time an opening is added. Lastly create a Separation with an Item Height of 1".
- Now that we have finished customizing the front of our cabinet, we can go to the Materials panel to specify a material for this cabinet.
- Once you have completed making changes, click OK to apply them and take a 3D camera view to see the results.
- You can use a smaller corner cabinet using this same procedure without any Front items to stack on top of this first cabinet, and a cylinder from the Shapes section of the Library Browser to complete this object.