July 16, 2015
The information in this article applies to:
I would like to add a screened-in porch to my plan. How can I do this?
Screened panels can be created by applying a custom material to the glass in a window and then using copies of this window to form a porch.
To create a screen porch
- Select Build> Window> Window and place a window into one of the walls of your porch.
- Select 3D> Create Camera View> Elevation and take an elevation of the screen porch wall. If you have Home Designer Interiors, you can use the Full Camera tool instead.
- In the new camera view, select your window and using the move handles:
- Adjust the top height of the window to match the top of your wall
- Adjust the bottom height of the window to the height where you want the bottom of your screen to start.
- When you are satisfied with the appearance of the window, select File> Close View to close the camera view and return to floor plan view.
- In floor plan view click on your window to select it and click the Open Object edit button.
- In the Window Specification dialog:
- On the General panel, change the Window Type to Fixed Glass.
- Go to the Lites panel and make sure Lites Across and Lites Vertical both equal 1.
- Go to the Materials panel, select Glass and click the Select Materials button.
- In the Select Material dialog, navigate to to Materials> Fabric & Wall Coverings> Sheers & Shades> Screen> Screen, and then click OK.
Click OK in the Window Specification dialog to close this dialog and apply your changes.
- To create a second screen panel, click on the window to select it, then click the Copy/Paste edit button and click once on an empty area of a wall to create a copy of this customized window.
- In either floor plan view or a 3D view, use the edit handles to adjust your windows' sizes as needed.
- To join or mull two screen windows in a corner, select one of the windows:
- Hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard or if you are working on a Mac computer hold down the Command key
- While holding down the Ctrl/Command key, move the window as into the corner of the porch as far as it will go.
- Repeat this for the other window and in 2D view it should look like the windows are joined.
- Use the Full Camera tools to view your screen porch.