Creating a Breezeway
| Reference Number: KB-02087 Last Updated: 09-27-2013 11:23 AM
The information in this article applies to:
I would like to create a covered breezeway between two separate structures in my plan. How can I model this in Home Designer?
Creating a breezeway with a roof covering over it is easy to accomplish in Home Designer.
To create the breezeway room
- First, launch Home Designer and Open the plan in which you want to connect the two structures with a breezeway, and Zoom In on this area of the plan.
- Next, select Build> Deck> Straight Deck Railing , then click and drag out deck rails to create the area that you want to be covered with a breezeway.
- Once the breezeway room is enclosed, using the Select Objects tool, click inside of the room, then select the Open Object edit tool.
- In the Room Specification dialog:
- On the General tab, use the drop down menu to change the Room Type to Slab.
- Then, uncheck Use Room Type and type in BREEZEWAY for the Room Name.
- On the Structure tab, make sure Roof Over This Room is selected, uncheck Ceiling Over this Room, and check Use Soffit Surface for Ceiling.
- Once you have finished making these changes, click OK to apply them and close the Room Specification dialog.
Once you have the room defined, we are ready to modify the railings so that they are just posts.
To adjust the railings
- Using the Select Objects tool, click on one of the deck railings to select it, then click on the Open Object edit button.
- In the Deck Railing Specification dialog, on the Railing tab
- Change the Railing Type to No Rail
- Under Railing Options, select Post to Overhead Beam
- Set the Newel Spacing.
For the purposes of this example, we will set the Newel Spacing to 7' (84").
- Click OK when you have finished making these changes to apply them and close the dialog.
: If you want to be able to manually place columns from the Millwork
section of the Library Browser to hold up the breezeway area, instead mark this Deck Railing as Invisible on the General Tab.
- Repeat this process for the remaining Deck Railings in your plan that make up the breezeway.
- Finally, take a 3D Camera view to see the results of your covered breezeway.