July 16, 2015
The information in this article applies to:
How do I create ceiling beams?
Beams can be precisely simulated by resizing a cabinet soffit.
Creating ceiling beams
- Select Build> Cabinet> Soffit from the menu. Click to place a soffit into the room where a ceiling beam is needed.
Home Designer Landscape and Deck does not have the Soffit tool, so in this version of the software use the Closed Box geometric shape instead.
- With the Select Objects tool active, click on the soffit to select it. Using the edit handles, resize and rotate the soffit so that it extends across the length of the room.
- With the soffit selected, click the Open Object edit button.
- In the Soffit Specification dialog:
- On the General panel edit the Height and Depth values to equal the desired size for the beam. In this example, 12" x 13" is used.
- On the Materials panel, select Soffit and then click the Select Material button.
- In the Select Library Object dialog, browse to Materials> Wood, choose the desired wood grain for the beam, and click OK.
- Click OK to close the dialog and apply your changes.
- With the soffit still selected, double-click the Copy/Paste edit button.
- Click on the Sticky Mode edit tool to remain in Paste mode and continue pasting copies of the selected object. Repeat this process as may times as you like.
- Once you have placed the appropriate number of soffits, click the Select Objects button, or press the Spacebar on your keyboard, to cancel the Sticky Mode operation.
Note: Beams created in this manner cannot be placed higher than the height of the walls, or extend upward into the attic area.