July 21, 2021
The information in this article applies to:
Home Designer Architectural and Home Designer Pro both have the Gable/Roof Line tool. When would I use this tool instead of a normal "Full Gable" wall?
The Gable/Roof Line tool can be used to automatically generate a gable above the bearing wall of a hip roof plane. It is best used in situations where roof directives in walls are not possible.
- If a Break Wall would be required in the same location as a door or window;
- Where a wall is not present, such as across the front of an alcove;
- Over a Bay, Box, or Bow Window.
To create a gable using a Gable/Roof Line
- Select Build> Roof> Gable/Roof Line , then click and drag to draw a line outside of the exterior wall that you want to create a gable over.
- Position the Gable/Roof Line within 10 feet (2260 mm) of the wall’s Main Layer but, not touching it.
Make sure that the Gable/Roof Line is exactly parallel to the exterior wall.
- Resize the Gable/Roof Line so that it's the length of the desired gable.
- The length of the Gable/Roof Line determines the gable width at the wall Main Layer, not at the overhang.
- At the larger roof eave, a gable roof is wider than the gable line by twice the overhang distance.
- Select Build> Roof> Build Roof and regenerate the roof, if you don't already have Auto Rebuild Roofs enabled.