The information in this article applies to:
The note on the Online Support Center specifies that they recommend that I compress my files into a single ZIP file. How do I do that?
Before contacting Technical Support, you should check for information about topics such as:
- Error messages and warning information in the program typically include a Check Help Database button. If you encounter a message, click this button for information about the message.
These instructions are designed to help you to save your plan, zip the plan folder, and submit your plans to the Chief Architect Home Designer Technical Services department for evaluation:
To save your plan
- With Home Designer and your plan file open, select File> Backup Entire Plan .
For Home Designer Pro, if you are encountering a technical issue with regards to the layout, use the Backup Entire Plan feature with the layout file active, instead of the plan.
- In the Backup Entire Plan dialog, leave the radio button set at Backup Plan Files and All References Files.
- In Home Designer 2017 and newer versions, place a checkmark next to Send Backup Files to Zip Archive, click OK, then in the Choose Zip Archive To Backup dialog, choose to save the file to your Desktop, give the compressed folder a descriptive name and click Save.
In Home Designer 2016 and earlier versions, you will need to create a new, blank folder on the Desktop to export the plan and associated files to, then separately compress/zip the file. See the instructions in the next section if you are unfamiliar with this process.
- Select File> Exit to completely close out of your Home Designer program.
Now that the file has been saved, and the program closed, you are ready to compress your file to send to Technical Services.
To compress the folder in Home Designer 2016 and earlier versions
- Go to the Desktop.
Note: If you have any additional files, such as a screenshot of the error you are receiving, (or an associated .layout file for Home Designer Pro users), copy or save these into the Desktop folder prior to compressing it.
- Right click on the -YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME- folder, go to Send To and select Compressed/Zipped folder.
- This will create a zipped -YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME- folder on your Desktop.
Now that you have a compressed folder that contains all of the files that Technical Services has requested to be able to troubleshoot your issue, you are ready to send it to them via the Online Support Center as discussed in the Related Articles section below.